Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mama-Made-Sundress

I have a very happy little girl in my house and it's all because I spent one naptime working on a project for her. She now has a mama-made-sundress and loves it! It makes me smile to see how happy she is with it--she doesn't see the imperfections, she just feels the love I put into making this for her.
I'm not a fantastic sewer, but this truly was an easy project even though I made it without a pattern. I bought presmocked fabric from JoAnn's to make this sundress. I measured my little girl's chest circumference and then also figured out how long I wanted the dress to be. I cut the panel of fabric to the right width and trimmed a bit off the bottom. Then I hemmed it and sewed the dress into a tube. My next step was to make the straps--I just sewed two tubes (inside out) and then turned them right side out and sewed them onto the dress (after first trying the "tube" part of the dress on my daughter to figure out the placement of the straps.
That's it! Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy! (And yes, that is her own pose!) For more projects, visit DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land.

14 comments:

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

You are so talented! How cute is that dress, and how cute is your daughter! Really, really pretty!

XOXO
Jen

Kammy said...

Very sweet and your little girl is a doll !
Hugs ~ Kammy
p.s. I remember my mom making me one of these in the 70's -crazy !

Jodee said...

That turned out soooo cute! Great job!

Sara said...

I am totally intimidated by anything that has to do with sewing. This looks fabulous! You say easy-peasy, I say "loony bin, here I come!" I don't think I could even attempt this...
Btw, your daughter is adorable.

Jen Gillespie said...

Way cute! You are definitely talented. And I love that she is so excited about it. Simple pleasures!

Shannon said...

Love it! She looks so cute in it!

Carol said...

That dress is adorable! I wish I knew how to sew. Such a sweet little girl.

Nicole A. said...

Adorable!! Love it! So pretty and she is so cute!

Darlene said...

What an adorable dress and she looks so CUTE in it!!! Great job!!

Unknown said...

They have presmocked fabric!!?? laments the mother who fiddled with elastic on the bobbin for her girls..

kudos to you/the dress is perfect!

Ms. Tee said...

What a sweet little dress & her pose is too cute. :)
Thank you for your prayers for my mom!

Jenni said...

That is adorable! The sundress turned out so cute~ you did a fantastic job on it! She is such a sweetie, and definitely looks very happy! :)

Crystal said...

Cool and I love the fireplace!

I have a poll up on my blog about my BIGGEST decor dilemma. Come on over and vote, I need all the help I can get!

http://imnomartha.blogspot.com/2009/08/first-poll-ever-to-paint-or-not-to.html

Anonymous said...

She looks so proud! Doesn't it just make your heart sing, knowing that you put that smile there!

Grins! Pamm