Saturday, July 5, 2008

Strawberries!

The other day the children and I were driving home and I made an impromptu stop at a local-ish strawberry farm and bought half a flat of fresh strawberries. Store-bought strawberries have nothing on fresh local berries; berries that were in the field just a few hours ago.

I adore strawberries which, I suppose, is fitting for a former Strawberry Festival Queen. My husband tells our little girl that she is a princess but Mama is a real Queen. The first time I showed her my tiara her eyes got as huge as saucers and she said "Mama, you really ARE a queen!!" Oh it was priceless!! I knew I hung onto that gaudy tiara for a reason!

Anyhow, these strawberries were so yummy! I spent all of naptime cleaning them and then the bowl of red berries was so gorgeous, I just had to take a picture!

My husband came home from work and noticed the bowl of strawberries, ate one, and then remarked that he's never had strawberries this good before! As you can tell, even my two year old LOVED these strawberries! (I had to take a picture of his sweet face before washing the berry juice off him!)

We had more strawberries today--strawberry smoothies! You really can't go wrong with a smoothie recipe, but here is how I did it...
  • 2 cups strawberries (I left mine whole because I'm lazy like that)
  • 2 cups 1% milk
  • 2 cups lowfat vanilla bean ice cream (isn't low fat ice cream an oxymoron??)
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
Blend and drink!! This serves at least four people and could serve more depending on the size of your servings.

I loved it and so did my husband and my 4 year old. My 2 year old doesn't like ice cream (or chocolate...crazy boy!) and thus didn't really like this...which left more for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that's one cute strawberry face! Susie H~